Sunday, May 22, 2011

What happens if the polar ice caps melt?


The effect of melting ice caps promises to be extensive. It could change the entire make-up of the ocean. Polar ice caps contain fresh water, so when they melt into the ocean, it will cause the ocean water to have a lower concentration of salt. This could in turn affect the plant and animal life if they do not properly adapt to it. The diluted salt water could also affect ocean currents. The way that currents flow has to do with the salinity of the water.

Another concern of polar ice caps melting is the risk of ocean overflow. The amount of water melted into the ocean could possibly cause flooding and loss of low level land. The effects of this would be devastating for many humans living along coasts, but that's not it. Changes in crops and living space near the coast could affect humans living in all areas!

I like this experiment because it makes you think. Investigative science is a wonderful way to learn!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason the two comments I've posted have not been able to be viewed on the blog. If I highlight the text then I can read it. I'm not sure how to post a comment in a different text, color, or font. If you have any suggestions so that my comments can be viewed, please let me know. Thanks!

    Great points! I didn't even think of how the salinity of the water would affect the environment. I live about 40 miles away from the beach at an elevation of about 1,000 ft. So I don't think my house or community would be affected, but those multi-million dollar properties along the beach definitely would.
    I enjoy looking at the illustrations and pictures you upload to your blog. That is a wonderful idea. It definitely helps put a picture to the content. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julius,

    Thank you for pointing this out. I don't know why that was happening, but apparently because I had a white background, the white writing was not showing up. I simply changed my blog's design to have a black background. Think the problem is solved. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete